Summer’s here! Now is the time to go out and enjoy the sun.
Spending time in the sun not only feels really good after a long, grey, cold winter and an equally long, chilly, wet spring – it also gives you the vitamine D boost your body longs for.
However, if you spend too much time in the sun, you might end up with a sunburn.
Using sunscreen products will help you to stay out in the sun for a longer period of time. It’s important that the products you use are all-natural and organic though – as I already stressed in this article about the risks of synthetic sunscreen products.
Besides being mindful when it comes to how much time you spend in the sun and which sunscreen products you use, there are other ways to protect your skin. Letting food be your medicine is one of them.
Eating more of these yummy ingredients will help you to keep your skin healthy this summer!
– Strawberries. They’re rich in vitamin C, which is a powerful skin-protective antioxidant that reduces sun damage.
– Carrots are high in beta-carotene, an anti-oxidant that can protect skin cells from UV damage. Sweet potatoes and mango are other good sources.
– Eggplant. These veggies contain anthocyanidins, which are potent antioxidants that inhibit skin cancer and damage caused by UV exposure.
– Avocados are rich in fats that protect the skin cells from UV damage and inflamation, repair DNA, and enhance the availability of sun-protective nutrients from other fruits and vegetables.
– Tempeh contains isoflavones that can reduce inflammation, help inhibit skin cancer and reduce sun damage.
– Raw cacao. It’s exceptionally rich in flavanols – which are antioxidants that protect the skin from sun damage, increase blood circulation to the skin, improve hydration and reduce signs of aging. Needless to say, I’m very excited about this one.
– Olive oil contains oleuropein, which protects against UV-induced wrinkling, skin damage, cancer and tumor growth.
– Green tea (matcha included) contains catechins, which help prevent and repair skin damage.
How about combining all of these ingredients? You could easily make a healthy, tasty meal with them!
Cut carrots, eggplant and tempeh in cubes. Toss with some olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and thyme. Grill or roast until the veggies are tender and the tempeh has a golden glow. Mix with a few handfuls of leady greens. Slice avocado and strawberries and toss those together with some raw cacao nibs in your Summer Skin Salad. Finish with some freshly squeezed lemon juice and fresh basil.
Enjoy with a cup of green (ice)tea. Mmm!
Hope you’re having a delicious summer!